Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register with the surgery?

Please complete the registration form and new patient questionnaire. The two forms needs to be returned together.

Do I live in your practice area?

Yes, if you reside within our boundary – check your postcode here.

I am living in the area temporarily and am not registered with a local doctor.  Can I get medical help?

If you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one, you can receive emergency treatment from the local GP practice for 14 days. After 14 days you will need to register as a temporary or permanent patient.

To register as a temporary resident with a GP:

  • you’ll need a surgery that covers the area where you’re staying
  • contact the surgery and ask to register as a temporary resident

The surgery will ask you to complete the temporary resident registration form. You must provide details of your current surgery, your NHS number where known, the address where you are currently staying together with likely during of stay.

You can register as a temporary resident with a GP in England if you are in the area for longer than 24 hours but less than three months.

How do I book an appointment?

You have a choice:

  • you can book one appointment online and then further appointments once you have been given your log-in details
  • By calling into the Surgery to book in person
  • By telephoning our receptionist on 01295 465700.

How do I cancel an appointment?

  • Please ring our 24/7 cancellation line on 01279 464789.
  • If you have booked your appointment on-line, you have the option to cancel your appointment on-line.
  • If you have received a text message appointment reminder you will be given the option to text back to cancel this appointment.

How do I check-in for my appointment on arrival at reception?

Please use our check-in screen adjacent to reception.  If you need assistance our receptionist will be happy to help you.

I wish to speak to a receptionist in confidence

Please let them know and you will be directed to our privacy booth.

How do I request a home visit?

If you are housebound please ring our receptionist ideally before 12 noon to request a home visit.  Our doctor may contact you to assess your wellbeing to establish if a visit is required.

Patients are eligible for home visits for routine treatment are offered only when a patient is unable to leave their home due to physical or psychological illness as this type of appointment takes much more time than if the patient is able to make it into their local clinic or GP surgery.

A patient will be deemed to be housebound when they are unable to leave their home environment through physical and/or psychological illness.

An individual will not be eligible for a home visit if they are able to leave their home environment on their own or with minimal assistance to visit public or social recreational public services (including shopping).

How do I order repeat prescriptions?

You have a choice but please note that we do not accept telephone requests:

  • You can order online
  • By post
  • By handing in your repeat request to either the pharmacy of your choice or to our receptionist.

Why does it take 2 working days for a GP to sign my prescription?

On most occasions it does not take that long however we ask our patients to allow this time to ensure our GP’s can check the accuracy of the medication details.

Can someone else collect my prescription on my behalf?

Yes providing they are 16 or over and they can verify your address details. We can arrange for your medication to be sent to the pharmacy of your choice.

I am unhappy with my medication.  What should I do?

You can liaise with a pharmacist or request a telephone call from the doctor by contacting our receptionist on 01279 465700.

How do I obtain medical advice when the surgery is closed?

Please refer to the attached booklet produced by a local Patient Participation Group.

How do I get the most out of a consultation?

Find out on NHS Choices…

How do I change my name, address and telephone number?

Please complete the change of details form. Please note that for any name changes, an original marriage or deed poll certificate is required and for this reason, this type of change cannot be accepted online.

I am a carer. Do you need to know?

Yes, if you support someone who could not manage without you, you are a carer.  Please complete the carers’ consent form so that we can put you in touch with Hertfordshire Carers who run a variety of coffee mornings, free courses, workshops and local trips to give carers a break.

How do I arrange an interpreter?

Please inform our receptionist at the time of booking your appointment and this will be arranged for you.

I am hard of hearing and unable to communicate using the telephone.  What options are available to me?

  • When visiting the surgery, we have portable induction loop facilities and our receptionist will be happy to provide you with further details on its’ use.
  • You have the option to use our online facilities
  • You can nominate a person of your choice to talk to us on your behalf (providing written consent from you is received)
  • You can contact us in writing
  • Arrange with our receptionist at the time of booking your appointment for a sign language interpreter

How long do I need to fast before a “fasting” blood test?

12 hours but you may drink water and take your medication unless your GP has advised otherwise.

How do I obtain my test results?

Please allow five working days after your tests prior to ringing our dedicated results line on 01279 464756.  The results line is currently open Tuesdays to Fridays between 1pm to 4pm. Please note that all test results are reviewed by our clinicians prior to them being shared with our patients.

Can I see my medical records?

Online users are currently able to see current and repeat medications, immunisations and allergies.

What do I do if a death occurs in the family?

If unexpected, contact 999 who will give you instructions on what to do.  If the death was expected please contact the Surgery and ask to speak with our Duty Doctor.

How do I obtain a death Certificate?

Providing the Practice is aware of the death of the deceased, a death certificate is completed by the doctor who last saw the deceased within the last 14 days.  The Practice will contact the next of kin to arrange collection of the death certificate.

Please be aware that if the deceased has not been seen by one of our doctors within the last 14 days, our duty doctor will liaise with the coroner to discuss the deceased. In these circumstances the Practice will keep the next of kin informed as it may be necessary to arrange for the coroner to complete the death certificate.

You may find this link useful in providing further guidance –

Why do surgeries run late?

  • If an emergency occurs on the day your appointment may be delayed. Our receptionist should keep you informed when delays occur.
  • On occasions a patient may present with a medical condition that may be more time consuming to manage than in a 10 minute appointment. We ask our patients to be respectful of this.
  • On occasions some patients may present with multiple problems which causes our clinicians to run over the allocated 10 minute appointment.
  • On rare occasions subject to traffic delays following home visits, or calls from emergency services including the coroner, our clinicians may be delayed, otherwise they should start their surgeries on time.

How do I get advice or help on how to stop smoking?

Please make an appointment with one of our Health Care Assistants who provide smoking cessation advice.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding COVID Vaccine

When will I get my second vaccine? – This will be around 12 weeks from the first we don’t have the exact dates yet but you will be advised when you can book your second dose

I am a health care worker can I have the vaccine? – Please advise the surgery preferably via eConsult of your Occupation and your records will be updated and coded and you will be contacted in due course.

I have been sent a text but don’t want the vaccine at the moment for which there may be many reasons – Please advise the surgery, preferably via eConsult detailing the reason and we will update your record accordingly.

I am housebound but someone can help me get to the football club – Please inform us with a letter or via eConsult so we can arrange an invite for you

When will I be called – all over 80s have been invited who are not housebound, all over 75s should be invited by 2nd February. We will then start inviting over 70s and shielding patients

I have allergies can I have the vaccine? – You can have the vaccine if you have allergies and if you have an EpiPen. You cannot have the vaccine if you are allergic to one of the components of the vaccine

I am housebound when will I have the vaccine? – You should be given the vaccine by the end of the month, we cannot give an exact date yet

I have Covid / have recently had Covid can I have the vaccine? – You cannot have the vaccine for 28 days after a positive test

I am clinically extremely vulnerable (shielding) when will I be invited? – It is likely your group will start to be invited to our local clinic at the Football club sometime in February. You may get a letter before then offering booking at one of the mass vaccination sites. This is currently in Stevenage and you can book there IF you can get there. If you prefer a local vaccine please wait to be called. You need to have your first and second vaccines in the same place

Frequently Asked Questions